October 29, 2018
The Missouri Work Opportunity Tax Credit Program offers tax credits to businesses that hire employees from a variety of target groups. All new hires can fill out the described forms to determine if the employer is eligible for the credit. Below are the steps:
1. All hired employees may fill out IRS Form 8850 to determine if they answer yes to a variety of statements.
a. If one or more boxes are checked, move to ETA Form 9061 to determine the appropriate target group.
b. If no boxes are checked, stop here. This individual will not qualify for WOTC.
2. The “Gave Information” date on the forms must be on or before the “Was Offered Job” date.
3. The IRS requires the forms to be postmarked by the 28th day after the employee’s start date, or the application for the credit will be rejected.
4. Employee and Employer signatures on all forms must be current and original. Other portions of the form, like Employer Information, may be pre-typed.
5. The Work Opportunity Tax Credit may be claimed by filing IRS Form 5884 (attached).
For more information reach out to our office.
QuickBooks apps for Mac & PC allow you to run QuickBooks Online up to 46 percent faster when visiting the client page.* And, it’s free to download and begin using immediately if you’re already a QuickBooks subscriber.
You can always use QuickBooks through your browser, but here are some of the unique features of the QuickBooks app that will make your time more...
One of the advantages of someone running their own business is hiring family members. But when including family members in business operations, certain tax treatments and employment tax rules apply. Here are some facts to know when working with a spouse, parent or child.
Both spouses carrying on the trade or business
If spouses carry on a business together and...